Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Artisan @ Heart

I've always loved making things, even as a little girl. This was very different from my mother, however. My mom was always the one to buy, not make, which is just fine with me though. Obviously, it takes both to make the world go 'round! :)

My mother's life long bff, Barb, is a very talented crafter. She would make the cutest little sewed figurines and items. She would give them as gifts to my mother (pumpkins, Christmas elves, little kitties, embroidery, tiny dolls, the list goes on). I remember always being awed by them, wishing I could make something so cool myself. Barb's daughter, Brianna, and I would joke that we should switch moms every once in a while. Brianna like my mother, preferred not to be one making these neat little novelties.


Last time my mom and I ventured to Wauwatosa to visit Barb, I saw the cutest little merry men sitting atop a door frame in her house.


Brianna, does your mom know about Etsy? She would be a real hit! I'm sure of it!

While I wish I had learned to sew like Barb, a dear friend of mine taught me how to bead. I adore making jewelry. It's a thrill to work with the different types of gems and pearls that were created by nature. And all the vibrant lamp-work beads, and intricate silver pendants created by my fellow artisans. Ahh, if only I had such talent... and time!

Working with clay has always been a life long dream for me. Throwing a beautifully shaped vase or container on the wheel, or molding an ornate hand-formed bead to use as a focal piece of an eye catching necklace would really be a dream come true. Perhaps someday; I'm always aspiring for more.

But in the meantime I'm pretty keen on piecing together necklaces into works of art! ;)
PS... My Etsy Hearts go out to:
Arbor Artisan Sterling Silver Tree of Life by SweetRockCandyBeads
Herb Pots by 30kellys
Ceramic Sunflower Necklace by kylieparry


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment